Thursday, September 29, 2011

With Great Love Comes Great Responsibility


Does love really ensure monogamy? …..  more importantly, SHOULD it?

What do the words “I love you” really translate as?

I only want you and nobody else?
You are the only person I am physically attracted to?
You can trust me to never do anything that will hurt you?
Relax, I am never going to feel this way about anybody else ever again?



No…. “I love you” simply means that, just that. I have strong feelings for you. Right now. The person I am now is in love with the person you are now. Whether that feeling lasts or not is out of our hands in the long run because we have no control over the future.

Why does loving someone come with all this extra responsibility? We start expecting so many things from someone the moment that fateful confession is made, and then wonder what went wrong when it’s over.

He loves me, so he will accept everything about me no matter how much I change. He loves me, so he will always put me first – above everyone and everything.……….He loves me, so he will never have any reason to leave me……….. He loves me, so he will never cheat……

Here is the universal truth – Even assholes fall in love. And it does not change them.

Why should it? STOP EXPECTING IT TO!!

Suddenly developing feelings for someone leaves us feeling terrified that we aren’t going to live up to the standard that has been set by society. That we have to change aspects of who we really are JUST to get it right.

No, Love has to become a committed relationship stuffed with rules – which in turn has to become a marriage (because, really, according to the Pattern, what else is the point)….. which then just adds to the pressure of starting a family, the logical next step, not?

Everybody is different, so why should everybody love in the same way?

Why isn’t Love itself just enough for anyone?



PRK

No comments:

Post a Comment